Want to travel in the lap of luxury and bring your best friend too? Fido or your favorite feline is welcome during your stay at Harbour Island in the Bahamas. Your residence during your stay is very important! And your best friend is no stranger to the family! We only request that you keep your dog or cat well kept and in the proper designated area on your flight. Respecting all private property and resort grounds while walking your dog is also requested.
You must follow all local laws when bringing a pet into the country of the Bahamas. Dogs and cats are welcome to visit Harbour Island; however, you must attain a pet permit. This is required for entry from the United States. Pets are allowed on the pink sands beaches of Harbour Island. You can attain the permit to enter the country from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry (Nassau). All animals brought into the Bahamas require documentation. Applications for such permits have a $10 processing fee, and must be made in writing to:
Director of Agriculture – Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry at PO Box N-3704, Nassau, The Bahamas.
You can also call 242-325-7502 or 242-325-7509 for more information. Only money orders or cash will be accepted forms of payment.
Regulations for the animals include:
- The animal must be six months of age, or older.
- The animal must be accompanied by a valid certificate which substantiates that it has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than 1 month and not more than 10 months prior to importation for the 1 year vaccine.
- For the 3 year vaccine, it must be valid within no less than 1 month, and no more than 34 months prior to importation into The Bahamas.
- The animal must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination.
- The permit is valid for 1 entry and must be used within 1 year from the date of issue.
- Regulations for all other types of animals and relating to countries not mentioned above may be obtained from the Director of Agriculture, PO Box N-3704, Nassau, The Bahamas. Applications should state the kind of animal, breed, sex, age, and country of departure. Animals not meeting these requirements will not be allowed to enter the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
- Dogs entering the Bahamas do not need to be quarantined. As long as you follow all Bahamian regulations, your pooch or feline should be able to enter the country with no problems.