All non-Bahamians that purchase real estate in Harbour Island Bahamas are required to obtain a Certificate of Registration with the Bahamas Investment Authority for their purchase. This includes homes, vacation homes, condominiums and/or vacant land.
A Bahamas Certificate of Registration is required if you are;
Non-Bahamian acquiring an interest in land or a condominium to be used as an owner-occupied property, provided that such land is undeveloped and it is less than two adjoining acres.
- Permanent Resident of the Bahamas.
- Non-Bahamian acquiring an interest in land under a devise or by inheritance.
- Non-Bahamian acquiring an interest in land by virtue of any court order or as a mortgagee.
- Non-Bahamian acquiring leasehold interest for trade or business for a period greater than 21 years.
The Applicant must pay an application fee of BS$250.00, this can be paid at the Public Treasury. If accessing this service from a Family Island, the requisite fee may be paid at the Public Treasury offices on Grand Bahama or Abaco.
Once all documents are received, The Bahamas Certificate of Registration is prepared within 30 days.
*There are no deadlines for this service.
- Copy of Government Identification including a Passport, Driver’s Licence, etc.
- Written confirmation (pursuant to the Financial Transactions Reporting Act, 2000) that due diligence has been completed to meet “Know Your Customer” (KYC) requirements alnh with a copy of completed KYC form.
- A certified current police record (or Sworn Affidavit where applicable) from country of residence.
- A current character reference.
- Copy of the site plan for the land being purchased.
- Proof of Bahamas Immigration Status.
- Social security number or national identification number
- Real property tax assessment number
- Proof of payment of real property tax
- A copy of the certificate of incorporation registration in the Bahamas is required, if the applicant is a Bahamian registered company
- A current financial reference.
- Source of wealth. If self-employed, you just state in which field and provide proof.
- Complete Copy of relevant conveyance with evidence that the appropriate amount of stamp duty has been paid.
- A copy of the receipt showing payment of fee to the Public Treasury.
For questions or more information regarding a Bahamas Certificate of Registration for real estate in Harbour Island Bahamas, contact the Bahamas Investment Authority as Administrative Arm of the Investments Board at:
4th Floor Cecil Wallace-Whitfield Centre
P. O. Box CB-10980
Tel. (242) 327-5826-9
Fax. (242) 327-5806