St John’s Anglican Church in Harbour Island Bahamas dates back to 1768 making it the oldest religious structure in the Bahamas. It was built by the descendants of a group of British Puritans called the Eleutheran Adventurers. The Eleutherans settled on the island in 1648 after fleeing their country in search of religious freedom. It wasn’t until over a century later that the church was built.
In 1860, the church’s Bell Tower was constructed and in 1888 a Sanctuary was added to the church to honor Reverend J.H. Kingdom. Several years later in 1893 the church was refurbished and a vestry was added. Today, St John’s Anglican Church in Harbour Island Bahamas is an active place of worship for island residents and visitors. The church is also frequently chosen as the location for wedding ceremonies by couples from all over the world.
St John’s Anglican Church can be easily recognized by its pastel pink and white colors and magnificent stained glass windows. The church is open for mass at 8 am and 7 pm on Sundays, 10:30 am on Saturdays and 7 pm on Wednesdays..